Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Response to Sheri's Blog, week 2 review


Sheri’s blog

All of the structure and ideals we use to bind ourselves into our lives are invented.  Only looking beyond the proverbial box can help us see beyond our immediate world.  I have often thought about how we create our own world based on our experiences. “The Art of Possibility” by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander is one of the most amazing book I have ever read. Unleashing the possibilities within should be the goal of every person.  It really is all invented.  Someone created the ideas we use to guide our lives.  What could we accomplish if we did not know fear?  Assumptions are the biggest hindrance for me in opening up to the realm of possibility.  It is so easy to make a judgment about someone or a situation.   

During the last week, I have focused on trying to stop making assumptions about situations.  I find that when I do this I have an easier time giving someone an ”A.” I have found that I have more patience with people because I try not to make assumptions or judgments about behaviors and actions.  It helps to think about how you are contributing on a daily basis.  I loved that the idea of being a contribution releases one from the cycle of success versus failure.  The chapter where the author describes his class after giving everyone an “A” is very intriguing.  I have toyed with the notion of presenting this idea to my students.  Though I do not think my administration would be receptive to the idea, I like the affect on the students.  It releases them from the cycle of success versus failure and brings them to a place where they can focus on their personal journey.   

An excellent education teaches students how to live beyond the course material.  This class is an excellent example of the concept.  Though the course is titled “Media Asset Creation,” I feel as though I have learned more about how I want to live my life.  Lessons taken from this week’s reading have affected my personal thinking in ways that will extend beyond the course itself.



                                Picture by Richard Stemple and the reason why he will never complain about the heat


Response
I like the idea that we are all connected much like a tree. The great photograph you took of the tree makes your blog come into perspective.

 It is always hard not to have some assumptions but keep in mind teachers are people too, we all have some assumptions. The real trick is not to let our assumptions get in the way of our teaching. The idea that everyone gets an A is great, of course as long as they earn it. You can give everyone an A and then just deduct from the grade when assignments are not completed, however I’m sure you’ve thought of that already. Great point that an excellent education gets you to live beyond the course, school, and the material. It is not always about getting an A.


No comments:

Post a Comment